Microsoft has incorporated a lot of networking features in its Windows operating system. Shared Folder is one such feature. It allows you to join forces with users connected to the network and work on projects together. In this post, we will see how to access Shared Folder in Windows 11 or Windows 10 so that you can collaborate with other professionals easily.
Access Shared Folder in Windows 11/10
Shared Folder enables users to share a folder among all the computers connected to the same account, are part of a network, or are connected to a network. To access Shared Folder there are various methods in Windows 11 and 10, we have mentioned them below.
- Open Shared Folder using Run
- Open Shared Folder from File Explorer
- Open Shared Folder from Computer Management
- Open Shared Folder from Command Prompt
- Map Network Drive to access Shared Folder quickly
Let us talk about them in detail.
1] Open Shared Folder using Run
Let us start with one of the simplest ways to open a Shared Folder. We will be using the Run dialog box which is used to open any utility or folder directly. To do the same, follow the steps given below.
- Launch the Run box using Keyboard Shortcut Win + R.
- Once the dialog box appears, type \\<Computer-Name>\<Shared-Folder>. You need to replace <Computer-Name> and <Shared-Folder> with the actual name of the network computer and shared folder name respectively.
- Once you have entered the correct name, click Ok or hit Enter.
This will do the job for you.
2] Open Shared Folder from File Explorer
If you don’t know the name of the Shared folder, navigate to the folder from the File Explorer. We can reach the Shared Folder via Network Drive. To do the same, follow the steps given below.
- Open Windows File Explorer by Win + R or by clicking on its icon from the Taskbar.
- Now, click on Network.
- You will see a list of all the drives you are connected to, double-click on the one of which you need to access the drive.
- Once you are inside the drive, open the Shared Folder.
The Shared Folder will open, you can then nonchalantly access all the files and folders present inside of it.
3] Open Shared Folder from Computer Management
Computer Management is a built-in Windows utility that allows the user to access various Windows tools, manage the storage, and access network drives. We will navigate to the Shared Folder using the Computer Management utility with the help of the following steps.
- Launch the Computer Management utility by Win + X > Computer Management.
- Expand System Tools.
- Double-click Shared Folder to open it.
This will do the trick for you.
4] Open Shared Folder from Command Prompt
You can also open the Shared Folder from Command Prompt. Command Prompt is a command-line interpreter that allows Windows users to do various things. If you want to open Shared Folder from CMD, open Command Prompt with administrative privileges. Now, execute the following command.
net use DRIVELETTER \Computer-Name\Shared-Folder
Note: Replace Computer-Name, DRIVELETTER, and Shared-Folder with their actual names
If your folder is password protected, append /user:username pass, so that it would like something like the command mentioned below.
net use DRIVELETTER \Computer-Name\Shared-Folder /user:username pass
Once you have executed the command, the folder will open.
5] Map Network Drive to access Shared Folder quickly
Every single aforementioned method to open the Shared Folder needs you to perform a little lengthy procedure. If you want things to be quick, map the Network Drive to access the Shared Folder quickly. Follow the steps given below to do the same.
- Launch File Explorer.
- Right-click on This PC and select Map network drive.
- Enter the details requested and click Finish.
This will add a Network Drive shortcut in the File Explorer. You can then open the Drive and access the Shared Folder.
Hopefully, this will do the job for you.
How do I access a shared folder in Windows 10?
There are various ways to access a Shared Folder in Windows 10 or 11. We have mentioned all the methods in this post. However, if you don’t want the hassle of navigating to the folder every time you want to access it, map it onto your File Explorer. Steps to do the same have been mentioned earlier.
How do I Connect to a Shared Folder?
The Shared Folder is inside the Network Drive. So when you are connected to a Network Drive, just open it and access Shared Folder from there. There are various other methods to do the same that we have mentioned in this post. So, do check them out as well.