While running Audacity on Windows PC, some users have reported coming across Audacity Internal PortAudio error. The issue can be resolved by following some simple fixes. The error message says-
Error Initializing Audio
Could not find any audio devices. You will not be able to play or record audio.
Error: Internal PortAudio error
What causes Audacity Internal PortAudio error?
There are plenty of reasons responsible for the Audacity Internal PortAudio error on Windows PC. Among all, the most common culprits causing the problem are listed below.
- The issue in the question will occur if you have recently made any changes in the audio devices of your system.
- If the Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder services are disabled, you will most likely face the problem.
- Not having the latest audio driver update is another primary culprit behind the problem.
So, let’s begin.
Audacity Internal PortAudio error on Windows PC
Below is a list of working solutions you can try to fix the Audacity Internal PortAudio error on Windows PC.
- Rescan Audio Devices
- Run Audio Troubleshooter
- Enable essential services
- Download the latest Audio Driver update
- Reinstall Audacity
Now, let’s check out the fixes in detail.
1] Rescan Audio Devices
If the problem began after you made a significant change in the audio devices of your system, the possibility is high that Audacity was not able to register the changes. In this case, you will have to scan the Audio Drivers manually. Below are the steps on how you can do it.
- Launch Audacity on your Windows PC.
- Click on the Transport option present at the top bar.
- From the drop-down menu, select Rescan Audio Devices.
- Wait until the process is complete.
Once done, reboot the application and check if the problem continues.
2] Run Audio Troubleshooter
You can use the built-in audio troubleshooter of Windows PC to resolve the problem. You can do it by following the below steps.
- Open Settings by pressing Windows + I shortcut key.
- Navigate to System > Troubleshoot > Other troubleshooters.
- Click on the Run option present next to Playing audio.
Now, follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the audio issue.
3] Enable essential services
Audacity requires Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder services to run without issues. If either of the services is disabled, you will face the problem. Below are the steps you need to follow to enable these services on your Windows PC.
- Open the Run dialogue box by pressing the Windows + R shortcut key.
- In the space provided, type services.msc and click on the OK option.
- In the Services window, locate Windows Audio.
- Righ-click on Windows Audio and choose Properties from the context menu.
- Select Automatic in the Startup type.
- Click on the Start option present under Service status.
- Click on Apply > OK.
Now, locate Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, and repeat steps 5 and 6 with it as well. Relaunch the application and check if it resolves the issue.
4] Download the latest Audio Driver update
If you don’t remember updating the audio driver for a long time, it’s no surprise your facing the problem. Applications like Audacity require the latest audio driver update to perform without any issue. If this isn’t the case, you will meet the consequences in the form of the different problems. Here are all the steps you need to follow to download the latest audio driver update.
- Press the Windows + X key, and choose Device Manager from the list.
- Double-tap on Sound, video, and game controllers.
- Right-click on your audio driver and select Update driver from the context menu.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update process. You can download the latest audio driver update by visiting the manufacturer’s website as well.
5] Enable Playback and Recording devices
The next thing you can try is to enable Playback and Recording devices. You can do it by following the below steps.
- Open Settings > System > Sound.
- Click on More sound settings.
- In the Playback tab, right-click on the default audio device, and choose the Enable option.
- Switch to the Recordings tab.
- Right-click on the default recording device and choose Enable.
6] Reinstall Audacity
If none of the steps were helpful, the last thing you can try is to reinstall Audacity. There can be some issue in the installation file causing the problem. So, reinstall the application to fix the issue.
How do I fix Realtek on Windows 10?
It’s very easy to troubleshoot any Realtek-related issue. Below are the steps you can follow to get rid of the problem.
- Download the latest Realtek High-definition Audio driver.
- Turn off Audio enhancement.
- Ensure that the Windows Audio service is running
- Choose the correct output device.
If none of the steps were helpful, you could reinstall the sound driver.
Read Next: Fix Audacity FFmpeg error on Windows PC.