This post will discuss different solutions to fix the Game file download error in Genshin Impact. Regardless of its tremendous popularity, Genshin Impact is no different when it comes to bugs and issues. From crashing problems to startup issues, a lot is going on with Genshin Impact. But among all, the problem that has been in the talk lately is Game files download error. When the error occurs, you will see the following message.
Game files download error. Check your internet settings and try again.
What causes the Genshin Impact Game files download error?
The Genshin Impact Game files download error isn’t version specific, i.e., it occurs on every game update. This means that the problem has something to do with the system rather than the game itself. Here are some of the common reasons you face the problem in the question.
- Running the game without administrative privileges makes you vulnerable to different issues, including those you’re currently facing.
- If the game is blocked under the Windows Firewall settings, you will face the problem.
- A weak or unstable internet connection is offend found to be the major reason behind the mentioned issue.
These were some of the common reasons triggering the problem. Now, let’s check out how you can eliminate them.
Fix Genshin Impact Game files download error
Below is the list of effective solutions to try to fix the Genshin Impact Game files download error.
- Check internet connection
- Run the game in administrator mode
- Whitelist Genshin Impact from Windows Firewall
- Switch to Google DNS
- Use VPN
- Unzip the Game files manually
- Try Network reset
Now, let’s take a look at all the solutions in detail.
1] Check internet connection
As the message says, the problem has something to do with your internet connection. If you are connected to a weak or unstable connection, it’s no surprise you are facing the problem. As a solution, check your internet speed and stability using any connection checking websites.
2] Run the game in administrator mode
If you are running Genshin Impact without administrative privileges, you will regularly face different issues, including, Game files download error. To fix the problem, you will have to run the game with administrative rights. Here are the steps to do it.
- Right-click on the game exe file, and choose Properties from the context menu.
- In the Properties window, switch to the Compatibility tab,
- Checkmark Run this program as an administrator.
- Click on Apply > Ok.
That’s it. Now, restart the game and check if you’re still facing the problem. If not, you are good to go. But in case the problem continues, try the next solution on the list.
3] Whitelist Genshin Impact from Windows Firewall
Windows Firewall is often the major reason behind different problems associated with games. As it turns out, if the Firewall settings block the game, you will always find yourself close to crashing issues and the one in the question. You will have to whitelist the game from Windows Firewall to get rid of the issue.
Go through the process and check if it solves the problem. If not, try the next solution on the list.
4] Switch to Google DNS
Another effective solution you can try in the situation is to switch to Google Public DNS. It is one of the best Domain Name Server (DNS) to play online games, including Genshin Impact. So, switch to Google Public DNS and check if it solves the problem.
5] Use VPN
Sometimes using a VPN to download the game can be affected solution to fix the problem. This is the best solution you can try if the problem is being caused due to the Genshin server in your area.
6] Unzip the Game files manually
For most users, the problem was fixed when they unzipped the downloaded game’s files manually. By default, this operation is done by the Game Launcher. But you can do the process manually to get rid of the problem. Here are the steps you need to follow.
- Go to the Genshin Impact folder.
- Manually unzip the Genshin Impact downloaded compressed file in the same location.
- Open the folder in which the file is extracted.
- Launch the game and check if the problem continues.
7] Try Network reset
If none of the steps were helpful, you could reset the Network Settings. By doing so, you will reinstall all the network adaptors and configure network components to their default settings. You can reset the network by following the below steps.
- Open the Settings window by pressing the Windows + I shortcut key.
- Click on the Network & internet option present on the left panel of the screen.
- Choose Advanced network settings.
- Click on Network reset.
- In the following window, click on the Reset now option.
- Confirm your selection by clicking on Yes on the prompt that pops up.
How to fix Genshin Impact crashing problem?
Genshin Impact crashing issue mainly seem to occur on an incompatible system. Thus, ensure your system matches the minimum requirement to run the game. In addition to this, download the latest graphic driver update to fix the problem.
Read Next: Genshin Impact not launching on Windows 11.