If the hl2.exe process is not responding or crashes then it can stop you from launching the game. In this post, we will discuss some working solutions to help you fix the issue on your Windows PC. Half-Life, Half-Life 2, and Counter-Strike are some of the best source engine-based games. All these games require a source file to launch on Windows PC. Hl2.exe is the core file to run Half-Life 2. But many users have reported that on launching the game, they come across the error message hl2.exe is not responding. The problem also occurs on changing the in-game maps and connecting to a different server.
What is the hl2.exe process?
hl2.exe is the executable file of applications like Half-Life 2, Crysis, Terraria, etc. If by any chance the hl2.exe file gets corrupted, you’ll face different issues including the one you’re currently facing. You can solve the problem by following the solutions in this post.
What cause hl2.exe is not responding error on Windows PC?
They can be different errors responsible for hl2.exe is not responding on Windows PC. It may depend on the condition of your system; thus, the reasons can vary from system to system. Still, below is a list of the major reasons causing the problem in question.
- The major reason causing the issue can be an outdated GPU driver.
- It has been noticed that third-party antivirus programs are a barrier for games; a similar can be the case with Half-Life 2.
- If you haven’t provided the administrative permissions to the game, you are most likely to face the mentioned issue.
- The misconfigured refresh rate of the monitor can be another primary reason causing the problem.
Now that you have a prior piece of knowledge about different reasons causing the issue let’s check out how to fix them.
hl2.exe is not responding or has stopped working on PC
If the hl2.exe process is not responding, then it can stop you from launching the game. Here are some solutions to help you fix the issue on your Windows 11/10 PC:
- Restart the system
- Ensure the system matches the minimum requirement
- Download the latest Graphics Driver update
- Run the game in administrator mode
- Download the required DirectX version
- Disable unnecessary background running applications
- Change monitor refresh rate
- Reinstall the game
Now, let’s check out all these solutions in detail.
1] Restart the system
Before trying anything technical, make sure you have restarted your device. As it turns out, the error message can appear due to a temporary bug. And the best thing you can try to eliminate the bug is to restart your system. Do so, and check if it solves the problem. If yes, you are good to go. But in case the issue remains, continue with the troubleshooting guide.
2] Ensure the system matches the minimum requirement
Half-Life 2 is a basic game available for PC; thus, it can run seamlessly without any issue, even on a basic PC. But in case you have an extremely old system that doesn’t satisfy the minimum requirement to run the game, you will face the mentioned issue.
- OS: Windows 7 (32/64-bit)/8.1.
- Processor: AMD Athlon 2.4 GHz or Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.80 GHz.
- Memory: 1 GB RAM.
- Graphics: DirectX 8.1 level Graphics Card
- DirectX: Version 8.1.
- Network: Strong Internet connection.
- Free Storage: 7 GB available space
3] Download the latest Graphics Driver update
An outdated driver can be the primary reason causing the issue. Thus, download the latest graphic driver update to fix the problem. You can update the driver by following either of the below-mentioned steps.
- Using the Optional Updates section, you can update the graphics driver under Settings > Windows Update > Advanced options.
- You can download driver updates from the official website of your device manufacturer too. Just visit the website, search for drivers with the model name, download the latest drivers, and install them on your PC.
After installing the update, launch the game and check if the problem continues. If yes, try the next solution.
4] Run the game in administrator mode
The next thing you can do is try to run the game in administrator mode. Sometimes, not having administrative privileges can be the major reason causing the issue. So, provide the administrative rights and check if it’s also a problem. Here’s how it’s done.
- Navigate to the place where you have installed the game.
- Right-click on the game exe file and choose the Properties option.
- Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Checkmark the Run the program as an administrator option.
- Click on Apply > OK.
Now launch the game and check if you are still facing the problem.
5] Download the required DirectX version
As mentioned, your system must feature DirectX 9 to run the game. This version is comparatively older than what you require to run any other modern game; the probability is high that your system has been featuring a higher version of DirectX. So, if you want to play Half-Life 2, download the required DirectX version. Here’s how.
- To begin with, open the Run dialogue box, type dxdiag and press the enter key.
- It’ll open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Check the installed DirectX version on your system.
- Download the required version by visiting the DirectX End-user Runtimes.
Install the downloaded version and reboot your system. Once done, launch the game and check for the problem.
6] Disable unnecessary background running applications
Sometimes, unnecessary background running applications can also be the reason causing the issue. As it turns out, similar applications conflict with each other and cause the problem. Thus, close the unnecessary applications to solve the problem. You can do so by accessing Task Manager and closing all the unnecessary applications.
7] Change monitor refresh rate
As mentioned, having a low-end system is the primary reason behind the issue. In this case, you can change the monitor refresh rate via the Steam settings to solve the problem. Here’s how it’s done.
First off, open the Windows settings.
Navigate to System > Display > Advanced display.
Note down the refresh rate of the system present next to Choose a refresh rate.
Now, open Steam > Library > right-click on the game.
Choose Launch options from the context menu.
A prompt will pop up. Enter the following command and press the enter key.
-refresh <system referesh rate>
Now, launch the game, and check if it solves the problem.
8] Reinstall the game
If nothing helped you solve the problem, you are left with no other option than to install the game. There can be some issue in the installation process which is why you’re facing hl2.exe is not responding error. Thus, reinstall the game to solve the problem.
How do I fix game exe has stopped working?
There can be multiple reasons why the game exe file has stopped working. Depending on the basis, you can try these solutions: run the game incompatibility mode, run the game with administrative rights, download the latest driver update, scan for virus and malware, repair the corrupted system files. If none of the steps were helpful, you could reinstall the game.
How to Recover Deleted EXE file?
It’s very easy to recover deleted exe files. First off, look into the Recycle Bin. If you find the required file, select the recovered option. Next, you can look into the anti-virus Quarantine section. If not, you can reinstall the program. Most of the installers are usually available from the website you made a purchase. Some applications, such as Microsoft Office offer built-in repair tools as well. They will reinstall all core files including the EXE file.