Xbox games such as Destiny 2 carry a massive gamer following. However, recently there’s a minor mishap stopping them from enjoying it. This mishap occurs in the form of Error 0x8007042b when launching Xbox games. In this article, we are going to discuss this and find solutions.
Something went wrong launching your game. Error code: (0x8007042b)
Fix Xbox Error 0x8007042b when launching games
If you are not able to play the game due to the message – Something went wrong launching your game, Error code 0x8007042b when launching Xbox games, execute the solutions mentioned below:
- Restart the device
- Repair or Reset the game
- Run the game with administrative rights
- Delete Microsoft Store Local Cache
- Login to Xbox and Microsoft Store with the same account
- Start or Restart the Xbox service
- Run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter
- Reinstall the game
Let’s get started with this troubleshooting guide.
1] Restart the device
Initiating the guide with something simple yet the key to many issues, restart your Xbox console and computer. The error code may be temporary and stem up from normal glitches and only require a complete shutdown of the devices.
So, please turn off the console, unplug it and for a precautionary procedure, remove the network router as well. Wait for some time, and then plug both of them in.
Now, restart your computer and then try to launch the game. Hopefully, there won’t be any obstacles stopping you from playing the game, but if there are, see the next solution.
2] Repair or Reset the game
Repair or Reset the game so that corruption in the game can be cleared out. To do the same, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the Start Menu, search up, and select Settings.
- Go to the Apps tab, and click on Apps & Feature or the Installed apps option.
- Scroll down, find the game, and hit the three vertical dots or select it.
- Now select the Advanced options button, and hit the Repair button.
After the process is completed, relaunch the game, and check if the game is working properly; if not, repeat the same process, but this time hit the Reset button. Do the same with the Xbox app installed on your computer. Finally, check if the issue is resolved
3] Run the game with administrative rights
If you are hit with an error while trying to launch a game, it could be because of the insufficient permissions given to the launcher. To troubleshoot in this case, attempt launching the game as an administrator. Hence, right-click on the game, and select Run as administrator option. When the UAC prompt appears, click Yes to confirm.
If the game is not on your desktop, open the Xbox app, click on the three dots associated with your game, and then select Create desktop shortcut. Now, you launch it with administrative privileges.
4] Delete Microsoft Store Local Cache
There are various instances when the Store fails to operate as it should, or maybe one or more apps are acting up. And we have seen that this mostly occurs due to corrupted caches. However, this is easily fixable as it just demands a thorough clean-up.
Here’s how to clear the Microsoft Store LocalCache folder contents:
- Click Win + R to open the Run dialogue Box, and then type %userprofile%.
- Click the OK button to open the user profile folder in File Explorer.
- Click on the AppData folder. If you can’t find that, then in that case, unhide the hidden files and folders.
- Once done, navigate to the Local folder, open the Packages folder, and then Scroll down
- Locate and open Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder and find the LocalCache folder.
- Open the folder, delete all its files, and restart the computer.
Finally, check if your issue is resolved.
5] Login to Xbox and Microsoft Store with the same account
If you have logged into Xbox and Microsoft Store with different accounts, you will get this error. So, sync both apps by logging in with the same account and then check if the issue is resolved.
6] Start or Restart all the Xbox services
Xbox, to run smoothly, needs services that work in the background, and if these services are disabled, then the computer will most probably have difficulty launching the game. Simply enable or disable and then enable this service by following the steps mentioned below:
- Click Win+R to open the Run dialogue box, and then type services.msc to open Services Window.
- Now hit the Enter button, find, and right-click on a service that has Xbox in its name.
- Select the Properties option, and then switch the Startup type to Automatic. Also, select Start if the service was not enabled. If it was enabled, disable it and then enable it
- Hit the Apply and OK buttons, and do the same for other Xbox services.
Now, relaunch the Xbox app and then the game, and hopefully, you will have smooth gameplay.
7] Run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter
Windows offers an easy way to get rid of problems related to apps from Microsoft Store, and that is Windows Store app troubleshooter. Run the tool and then verify if the game is back to its previous state or not.
8] Reinstall the game
Last, but not least, go for reinstalling the game. This issue can occur if the problem lies within the game’s installation and can only be resolved with a fresh installation.
Hopefully, you can resolve the issue using the solutions mentioned in this post.
What is error 0x800705b4 on the Xbox series X?
Another Xbox error code stopping users from playing the game is 0x8007054B4. It appears after any of the console, game, or app is updated. And is an indicator that there was a problem with the update and was unsuccessful. In this case, it can be due to normal glitches, updation errors, server issues, caches, etc. Well, try power cycling the Xbox console and see first.
Why am I getting a 0x8007042b error?
Windows Update Error Code 0x8007042b occurs when Windows Update components are corrupted. You can run the built-in Windows Update troubleshooter and reset the Windows Update components to resolve the issue.