This post features solutions to fix the Xbox Game Bar Record button greyed out. The Xbox game bar is a utility built into Windows that allows users to capture videos and screenshots while playing games. It has several widgets that help users record games, take screenshots, monitor performance, chat with friends, etc. But recently, many users have been complaining about the record button greyed out on the Xbox Game Bar. Now, if you have been facing such errors as mentioned above, you need to follow the following steps to fix this problem.
Why can’t I record with Xbox Game Bar?
This could happen if the window you’re trying to record isn’t suitable. The Xbox game bar can only be used to record the screens of programs and video games. You won’t be able to record anything other than that. Some other reasons why this may occur are:
- The game you are playing may not support recording through the Xbox Game Bar.
- Your computer’s hardware may not meet the requirements for recording with the Xbox Game Bar.
- There may be an issue with the Xbox Game Bar app itself.
Fix Xbox Game Bar Record button greyed out
If the Record button on the Xbox Game Bar is greyed out on your Windows PC, here are a few things you can try to fix the issue:
- Run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
- Repair and Reset the app
- Check your device’s storage space
- Update Display Drivers
- Enable GameDVR
- Reinstall Xbox Game Bar
Now let us see these in detail.
1] Run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
Running Windows store apps troubleshooter can diagnose and solve the problem quickly. It is an inbuilt function by Microsoft that automatically scans and fixes minor bugs and errors in Microsoft Store apps. Here’s how to run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter:
- Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Click on System > Troubleshoot > Other Troubleshooters.
- Now scroll down and click on Run beside Windows Store Apps.
- If any errors are found, Windows will automatically fix them.
2] Repair and Reset the app
Try repairing and resetting the Xbox Game Bar. Doing so will repair the application and reset its settings to their original defaults. Here’s how you can do it:
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Then click on Apps > Apps & features.
- Click on Xbox Game Bar and select Advanced Options.
- Scroll down and click on Reset.
3] Check your device’s storage space
Your device should have sufficient storage space to record games using the Xbox game bar. Check your device’s storage and delete some temporary files if required. Here is how you can clear your device’s storage space.
4] Update Display Drivers
Outdated or corrupted display drivers can also be responsible for Xbox Game Bar record button greyed out. Update your device’s display drivers and check if the issue gets fixed. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open Settings and navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Right under it, look for a clickable link—View optional updates.
- Under Driver Updates, a list of updates will be available, which you can choose to install if you are facing an issue manually.
You can also search for driver downloads for your system on the internet and then search for the driver’s name on the site. Visit your computer manufacturer’s website, or you may visit the graphics hardware manufacturers’ site.
5] Enable GameDVR
Game DVR controls how users capture screenshots and game clips while gaming. It can sometimes get disabled on unsupported systems. Here is how you can re-enable it:
- Download the GameDVR_Config.exe file from GitHub.
- Once the file gets downloaded, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
- Check the options Force Software MFT (16 FPS + VBR) and Disable Cursor Blending.
- Also, make sure to check the options Enable Game DVR and Record game in the background.
- Now open the game you want to record, and press the Windows key + G to bring out the game bar.
6] Reinstall Xbox Game Bar
If none of these solutions fix the issue, there may be a problem with your PC or the Game Bar itself. If that’s the case, reinstall the Game bar. This has been known to help most users fix this error. Here’s how:
- Open Windows Powershell as an administrator.
- Type the following command and hit Enter.
Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage
- After following these steps, the Xbox Game Bar should be successfully uninstalled from your PC. You can then reinstall it from the Microsoft Store.
How do I change the recording settings on my Xbox Game bar?
Open the Xbox Game Bar by pressing the Windows key + G combination and select Settings. In the settings tab, navigate to Capturing and modify recording settings according to your requirements.