Microsoft Windows comes bundled with a lot of pre-installed apps such as Windows Media Player, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Teams, etc. While the app integration has been aimed at bringing more customers to the Windows user base, some countries have opposed the idea of getting pre-installed multimedia applications, calling it a monopoly on providers of similar third-party applications. Therefore, Microsoft created other versions of Windows for the European and Korean markets, designating them as versions N and KN, respectively. These versions were designed to offer similar features to the major editions of Windows, except that they lack multimedia features and related technologies.
To get around this limitation, Microsoft released an update called Media Feature Pack which installs Windows Media Player and related technologies on systems running N or KN editions of Windows 11/10.
We previously covered how to download the Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 N. This article explains how to install the Media Feature Pack for Windows 11 N and KN to restore the full functionality of Windows 11 in these editions.
How to install Media Feature Pack for Windows 11 N and KN?
The Media Feature Pack can be installed as an optional feature. The following steps describe how to restore excluded media-related technologies in Windows 11 N and KN:
- Press start menu located in the Windows taskbar area.
- Press Settings .
- Press Apps on the left panel.
- Press Apps & features.
- Then click on optional features.
- Then click on view features next to “Add an extra feature”.
- Type “Media Feature Pack” into the search field at the top of the window that appears.
- Choose Media Feature Pack Pressing checkbox next to him.
- Press next.
- Press install.
- Restart your computer to complete the installation.
- After installing the Media Feature Pack, you will need to install additional applications from the Microsoft Apps Store.
- Some features of the Media Feature Pack require reinstallation of hardware drivers in Windows 11 N/KN.
1]Install additional apps in Windows 11 K/KN after installing the Media Feature Pack.
The following applications need to be installed additionally after installing the Media Feature Pack on Windows 11 N/KN systems:
2]Reinstall hardware drivers in Windows 11K/KN after installing Media Feature Pack.
- Click on the search field located in the taskbar area.
- Enter “device manager”.
- Choose device manager .
- Expand the device to see a list of installed drivers.
- Right click driver name and click on Uninstall device.
- Restart your Windows 11 N/KN computer.
- The system will attempt to automatically reinstall missing device drivers.
Installing the official media pack should be sufficient for most Windows 11 N/KN users. But unfortunately, some features like Windows Mixed Reality and Xbox Game DVR won’t work even after installing the Media Feature Pack. Thus, users who want these applications to work properly will have no choice but to upgrade the OS to a non-N version.
How do I download and install the Media Feature Pack for Windows N editions?
To install Media Feature Pack for N editions of Windows 11:
- go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features > optional features.
- Then click on view features next to Add an additional feature.
- Find Media Feature Pack in the list of available options.
- Press Next and then click on Install.
To install Media Feature Pack for N editions of Windows 10:
- go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features > optional features > Add a feature.
- Then find Media Feature Pack in the list of available options.
- Press next.
- Then click on Install.
What is the difference between Windows Home and N?
N refers to the European version of Windows 11. It offers the same features as Windows Home but omits some media-related features such as the ability to play audio and media files, control media playback, and record media files. These missing features can be restored by installing the Microsoft Media Feature Pack update, which is offered specifically for N versions of Windows.
The above describes how to install the Media Feature Pack for Windows 11 N and KN. If you have any questions regarding the above steps, please give useguide.net find out in the comments section. useguide.net will contact you for a solution as soon as possible.