A wise man once said, “For every minute spent organizing, an hour is earned”. I thought it was good advice and started organizing my computer. In the quest of organizing things, I stumbled upon a lot of folders that contain similar pieces of information and should be stitched together. Long story short, I Merged folders and want to show you how it’s done. That is why, in this post, we are going to learn how you Merge folders in Windows 11/10.
Merge Folders in Windows 11/10 and Remove Duplicate Folders
There are two scenarios that we need to take into consideration while merging folders. They are.
- When both the folders are of different name
- When both the folders have the same name
Let us look talk about them one by one.
1] When both the folders are of different name
If you want to Merge Folders and Remove Duplicate Folders and they have the same, all you have to copy and paste. Just follow the prescribed steps to do the same.
- Open File Explorer.
- Go to either of the two folders.
- Select all of its content, you can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + A.
- Hit Ctrl + C to copy all the content that you selected earlier.
- Now, navigate to the other folder.
- Right-click on the blank space and select Paste or just hit Ctrl + V.
- If it says that you have duplicate files, either Skip them or Replace them.
Once your computer is done pasting, two folders will be merged. It’s quite easy and will take no time.
2] When both the folders have the same name
If both the folders you wanted to merge have the same name, you just need to copy the folders into the same location. You will be asked to select one of the following three options.
- Replace the files in the destination
- Skip these files
- Let me decide for each file
You should choose “Let me decide for each file” and then manually select the files you want to merge. This should do the job for you.
However, you can also use the previous method here as that will do the job for you as well, this is just a bit quicker. Also a pro-tip, if you want to merge two folders, just rename one of them and make sure both of them have the same name. Windows will automatically give you an option to merge folders.
How do I combine folders into one?
To combine two folders into one, all you have to do is copy all of the content of one folder into another. You can check the aforementioned guide to know how to do the same as we go into the details there and talked about some other methods to merge folders.
How do I merge files in Windows?
Different types of files get merged differently. Hereinafter are some of the common file types along with the procedure to merge them.
Merge PDF Files
There are various online tools that can assist you in merging two files into one. For simplicity, we have mentioned some free websites to Merge PDF files below.
You can easily use any of the aforementioned sites to merge the files. Just go to the site, select the file you want to merge, and follow the on-screen instructions to do the same.
Read: How to merge ZIP folders?
Merge Document Files
You can easily merge document files using MS Word. Follow the prescribed steps to do the same.
- Open Microsoft Word and open a new Blank Document.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- Click on Object > Text from file
- Select the files you want to merge. Press and hold Ctrl to select multiple documents.
- Click on Insert.
That’s how you can merge document files. You can also just copy and paste the files if they are short, this is just an easier and quicker option.
If you think all of this is a hassle, just visit products.aspose.app/words/merger, select the file type as DOCX, add the files and click Merge. This will spit out the required result.
Related: Free Duplicate File Finder and Remover Software for Windows.
Merge Text files
Other than just copying and pasting the content of one file to other, you can use a command to merge them. First, make sure that both the files that you want to merge are at the same location, then, right-click on the empty space and select Open in Terminal or Open command window here or any other similar option. Now, execute the following command.
copy *.txt newfile.txt
Make sure to replace newfile.txt with the name of the merged file. This will do the job for you.
Use free software to merge folders and files
- WinMerge: It can compare both folders and files, presenting differences in a visual text format that is easy to understand and handle.
- Folder Merger: It is a tool to merge the contents of different folders into a single folder while keeping its folder structure.
That should do the job for you.