Are you getting the Printer operation failed error 0x00000002 when trying to print or accessing a network printer? In this post, we will give you the best solutions to fix this error. Here is the entire error message
Connect to Printer
Windows cannot connect to the printer
Operation failed with error 0x00000002
Error 0x00000002 usually occurs whenever the user tries to connect to a network printer or when you have remotely connected to a PC and accessed a printer attached to it. This error happens mainly for the corruption of the printer driver or incorrect printer configuration, or Network connectivity issues.
Printer operation failed with error 0x00000002
In this part, we will know how to fix the 0x00000002 error. Here we will provide you four best and working solutions.
- Restart the Print Spooler Service
- Run the Printer Troubleshooter
- Close RDP Sessions
- Check the Firewall Blocking the Printer
Follow the exact process given in these four methods to resolve the issue successfully.
1] Restart the Print Spooler Service
Restarting the print spooler service can effectively resolve the 0x00000002 issue. The user must perform this process on the host computer connected to the printer. Follow the steps properly to complete this process.
- Press Windows + R keys simultaneously to open the Run box.
- Type services. msc and press Enter key.
- Search for the Print Spooler service from the list.
- Now right-click on the Print Spooler and click on Stop from the menu.
- Wait for a few seconds for the Print Spooler to terminate.
- Windows displays a Service Control window for a few seconds to show the discontinuation.
Now right-click on the Print Spooler and select Start from the menu to restart the service again and check whether the issue is resolved or not.
2] Run the Printer Troubleshooter
You can fix the 0x00000002 error successfully by running the printer troubleshooter. Follow the steps below to perform this process successfully.
- Press the Windows+I keys simultaneously to open the Windows Settings.
- Go to the System > Troubleshoot > Other troubleshooter.
- Search for the Printer option and click on Run to start the troubleshooter.
- Follow the prompts and see whether the troubleshooter fixes the issue or not.
3] Close RDP Sessions
As per my experience and reports in the user forums, closing RDP sessions can also fix the 0x00000002 error. If you are trying to print on a remotely connected PC, I suggest you close the remote connection, reconnect, and try again.
Usually, printers are installed as network printers(VPN tunnel) and pushed by GPO(Canon devices mostly) and may not be available sometimes. So closing the remote connection will make it available again and allow you to print.
4] Check the Firewall Blocking the Printer
Sometimes due to firewall blocking, the printer shows the 0x00000002 error. You need to check the Firewall and unblock it temporarily or allow the printer through Firewall. Follow the steps below to turn off the Windows firewall.
Before applying the rule, we need to find the port used by the printer.
- Go to Settings > Bluetooth and devices > Printers and scanners
- Select the printer to open its device page
- Click on printer properties, and then switch to the Ports tab
- Make a note of the port which we will need to unblock in the next step.
You can block a printer using Windows Firewall by following these steps:
- Open Windows Firewall with Advanced Security by typing wf.msc in the Run prompt and pressing Enter.
- In the window’s left pane, click on Outbound Rules.
- Click on New Rule in the right pane of the window.
- Under Rule Type, select Port, and then select TCP on the next screen
- Here you need to type the port that is used by the printer.
- Select Allow the connection and click Next.
- Ensure all three checkboxes are selected for Domain, Private, and Public networks, and click Next.
- Name the rule and such as Allow Printer, and click Finish.
Once you have completed these steps, Windows Firewall will block all outgoing connections to the printer using the specified port.
If you are still following the post, you must understand all four fixes for the Printer Operation Failed With Error 0x00000002. This error usually occurs because of incorrect printer configuration and network connectivity issues. We recommend you try all four methods and experience which works better for you. Feel free to ask us in the comment section for any further queries.
Related: Fix Network Printer errors 0x0000007a, 0x00004005, 0x00000057, 0x00000006
Why does a printer fail to print?
Printers can fail to print for several reasons, including connection problems, driver issues, low ink or toner, paper jams, hardware problems, compatibility issues, and blocked print heads. The cause of the issue will depend on the specific problem and the type of printer being used. You can troubleshoot them based on the error. For example, check for loose cables, paper jabs, cleaning print heads, or hardware issues.
Read: Windows cannot connect to the printer, Error 0x0000052e, Operation failed
How to reset a printer?
A printer can be reset by turning it off and unplugging it from the power source. Wait a few minutes and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds to discharge any residual power. Plug it back in and turn it on. To reset to default settings or clear error messages, refer to the printer’s manual or manufacturer’s website for specific instructions.