The new revamped and free Outlook app for Windows has a clutter-free interface, intelligent grammar and spelling checker, and many other features. Among all such features, a Smart suggestions feature is also there. And, in this tutorial, we will show you how to turn on or off Smart suggestions in the new Outlook app in Windows 11. By default, this feature remains turned on. Those who don’t want to use it temporarily can disable it and also turn it on when needed.
What are Smart suggestions in the new Outlook app for Windows?
The Smart suggestions feature helps you write and reply to emails faster with intelligent and automatic AI-powered suggestions. This feature is pretty much similar to the Smart Compose and Smart Reply feature of Gmail and is also available in Outlook on the web. It has two parts:
- Text predictions: With this option turned on, the Outlook app will suggest words or phrases when you compose a new email. As you get the suggestion, you can press the Tab key or right arrow key to add it to the email.
- Suggested replies: Using this option, the Outlook desktop app will provide you with three suggested replies just above the Reply button of an email. You can select a reply, edit it, and send your reply.
Turn on or off Smart suggestions in the new Outlook app in Windows 11
The steps to turn on or off the Smart suggestions feature in the new Outlook desktop app for Windows 11 are as follows:
- Launch the Outlook desktop app
- Click on the Settings icon present on the top right part
- A Full Options window will open. There, select the Mail category
- Click on the Smart suggestions option
- In the Smart suggestions section, uncheck the boxes available for Show suggested replies (under Suggested Replies) and Suggest words or phrases as I type option (under the Text predictions section)
- Press the Save button
- Close the Full Options window to come back to the main interface.
Later, when you want to turn on the Smart suggestions feature in the Outlook desktop app, repeat steps 1 to 5. After that, select check boxes for the Suggest words or phrases as I type option and Show Suggested replies option. Finally, hit the Save button.
I hope this helps.
How do I turn off suggestions in Outlook app?
If you want to turn off Suggested replies in Outlook on the web app, then first log in to your account. Select the Settings option (on the top right side). In the Settings panel, click on the Mail option. Next, under the Layout section in the same panel, select Compose and reply. Now scroll down the Compose and reply section, uncheck the Show suggested replies option, and hit the Save button.
How do I turn off smart search in Outlook?
There isn’t any smart search feature in Outlook. Instead, you can perform an Advanced Search by applying filters to customize the search. In Outlook, click on the Search box, then the Filters icon and the Filters panel will open. Now you can set the Search in area (All folders, Inbox, Junk, etc.), Keywords, Subject, date range, etc., and perform an advanced search. To turn off the Advanced Search in Outlook, use the Clear filters button in the Filters panel, and then start the search.
Read next: Disable or Enable Out of Office Reply in Outlook.