If the DtsApo4Service.exe keeps crashing and you see DTS audio processing object stopped working message in Reliability Monitor in Windows 11/10, then this post will help you. DtsApo4Service.exe is an executable related to DTS (originally Digital Theater Systems), which is an audio processing technology.
What is DtsApo4Service.exe?
DtsApo4Service.exe is an executable file that belongs to the DTS Sound software. The DTS Sound software lets you experience enhanced and distortion-free audio through your speakers while gaming or watching movies. The DtsApo4Service.exe process runs in the background and controls the DTS audio processing object. It is a safe process to run, but make sure the application is downloaded from the official source.
Now, some users have reported that the DtsApo4Service.exe keeps crashing on their computers. This issue could be a result of outdated or corrupted sound drivers.
Fix DtsApo4Service.exe crashing and stopped working
If the DtsApo4Service.exe process keeps crashing and stops working on your Windows computer, here are the fixes you can use:
- Run the Playing Audio troubleshooter.
- Update your audio driver.
- Reinstall the audio driver.
- Uninstall and reinstall DTS Audio Processing software.
1] Check if the Playing Audio troubleshooter helps
You can first try running the Playing Audio troubleshooter on your PC and see if it helps you fix the problem. Windows inbuilt audio troubleshooter can detect generic sound issues and suggest you some fixes to resolve them. Suppose, if outdated sound drivers are causing the issue, it will address and ask you to update your sound drivers. And, so on.
So, you can launch the Playing Audio troubleshooter using the below steps and check if the DtsApo4Service.exe crashing issue is fixed:
- First, launch the Settings app using Win+I and go to the System > Troubleshoot section.
- Now, click on the Other troubleshooters option and locate the Playing Audio troubleshooter.
- Next, press the Run button present next to the troubleshooter and let it scan for audio issues on your PC.
- Once the scan is complete, it will report the issue and ask you to apply a suitable fix; do that and follow the other onscreen instructions.
See if the problem is resolved now. If not, follow the next solution.
2] Update your audio driver
Most audio-related issues are directly associated with your drivers. If you have outdated audio drivers on your computer, it can be a reason causing DtsApo4Service.exe to crash. Hence, if the scenario is applicable, you should be able to fix the issue by updating your audio drivers. To do that, follow the below steps:
- First, press the Win+X shortcut key and choose Device Manager from the opened popup menu.
- In Device Manager, locate the Sound, video, and game controllers category and expand its menu.
- Now, right-click on your audio driver and choose the Update driver option.
- Next, click on the Search automatically for drivers option and follow prompted instructions to complete the process.
- You can update all your audio drivers using the above steps.
- Once done, reboot your computer and see if the problem is resolved.
3] Reinstall the audio driver
If updating the audio driver doesn’t help in fixing the problem, it might be the case that you are dealing with a corrupted installation of your drivers. And thus, DtsApo4Service.exe keeps crashing. So, if this case is applicable to you, perform a clean installation of your audio driver and see if the issue is fixed. Here’s how:
- First, open the Device Manager app.
- Now, expand the Sound, video, and game controllers category and right-click on your sound driver.
- After that, select the Uninstall device option from the context menu and follow the prompted guide to uninstall the driver.
- Now, you can reboot your computer and Windows will automatically detect missing drivers. And then, reinstall them on your computer.
You can also manually download the latest version of your sound drivers from the official website of the device manufacturers. The DtsApo4Service.exe crashing issue should be resolved after clean installing the drivers. However, if the problem remains the same, we have one more fix that will surely resolve the problem. So, move on to the next solution.
4] Uninstall and reinstall DTS Audio Processing software
The last resort to fix the issue is to uninstall the DTS Audio Processing software from your PC and then reinstall it. It could be a corrupted installation of the app triggering this problem. Hence, you can perform a clean installation of the software and check if the issue is resolved.
First, open the Settings app using Win+I and go to the Apps > Installed apps section. Now, locate the DTS Audio Processing application and press the three-dot menu button present next to it. After that, click on the Uninstall option and follow the onscreen instructions to complete its uninstallation.
Once you have removed the program, make sure to delete its installation directory and residual files manually. Next, restart your computer and download the latest version of the DTS Audio Processing software from the official source and install the application. It should now work properly and the DtsApo4Service.exe process should stop crashing now.
Do I need DTS audio processing?
If you want to enjoy great audio while playing games or watching movies, you need DTS Audio Processing. Audio sets the right mood for a game, theater, film, etc. So, you can use DTS Audio Processing for having the best audio experience on your PC.
Can I disable DTS sound?
You can disable DTS Sound by turning off audio enhancements on your computer. For that, type Sound in the Windows search box and open the Sound Control Panel item. In the appeared window, go to the Playback tab and right-click on your default speaker. And then, select the Properties option. After that, move to the Enhancements tab and uncheck the checkbox called Disable all enhancements. Finally, press the Apply > OK button to save changes.
Now read: DTS:X Ultra not working on Windows PC.