An Error 1317 is a common issue; users may encounter this error while installing software on a Windows computer. This error message generally indicates that a software installation process has not been completed because of insufficient permissions.
Error 1317, An error occurred while attempting to create the directory
What is error code 1317?
Error Code 1317 appears when someone tries to install an application on a Windows computer. The error code signifies that the user doesn’t have permission to install the program. Often, the firewall or security software misidentifies the running installation process as malicious and blocks it. However, it’s not the only reason, hereinafter, we will discuss every single solution required to resolve the issue.
Fix Error 1317, An error occurred while attempting to create the directory
If you get Error 1317, An error occurred while attempting to create the directory when installing an application, follow the solutions and workarounds mentioned below.
- Disable the Controlled Access folder
- Sign in as administrator and run the installer as admin
- Temporarily disable third-party antivirus services
- Install the application in Clean Boot.
Let’s discuss this in detail.
1] Disable the Controlled Access folder
Even though the Controlled folder access helps you protect valuable data from malicious apps and threats, such as ransomware, the security policy can conflict with installation services. We need to disable the feature before trying to install the program. To do the same, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open the Windows Security application by searching it out of the Start Menu.
- Go to Virus & threat protection.
- Now, click on Manage settings from the Virus & threat protection section.
- Then go to Manage Controlled folder access.
- Finally, turn off the toggle to disable Controlled folder access.
Once you have disabled the security feature, reboot your computer and run the installation media.
2] Sign in as administrator and run the installer as admin
As mentioned earlier, you may get this due to a lack of permissions. Hence, we must run the sign-in as an administrator into the operating system. Once done, run the installer with administrative privileges. To do the same, just right-click on the installation media and select Run as administrator.
3] Temporarily disable third-party antivirus services
If you have third-party security programs such as Avast or Norton, make sure to disable them before running the installer. They can conflict with the installation services and trigger this issue.
4] Install the application in Clean Boot
Clean boot is a troubleshooting method in which you can start your computer with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. By using this method, we can find out the exact problem.
Follow the steps to perform a clean boot.
- Press the Windows key, and type msconfig to open System Configuration.
- Click on the Service tab and select Hide all Microsoft services.
- In the right corner of the System Configuration window, click on the Disable All button.
- On the top of the System Configuration window, click on the Startup tab and then click on Open Task Manager.
- Now Disable all the Enable startup items one by one.
- Close Task Manager and restart the computer.
Hopefully, when your computer starts, the system problem will be resolved.
What is the error code for CPU failure?
For CPU failure, we get BSOD or Blue Screen of Death. BSOD not only appears when there is a CPU failure but also when the system RAM fails. If you get one, check our guide to recover your computer from the BSOD state and resolve the Blue Screen of Death.