In this day and age, one would probably find it difficult to do their daily chores with cash. They have to catch the bandwagon and subscribe to a digital payment service and Venmo is one of them. In this post, we will see how Venmo works and how you can sign up and log in safely.
How does Venmo work?
Venmo is much more than an online payment method that allows you to send and receive money. Being completely online allows Venmo to perform various jobs such as splitting expenses with others: dinner, taxi, and rent. However, that’s not all, let us look at all the things one can do with Venmo.
- One can pay using the Venmo apps to services that allow Venmo.
- Scan the QR code when buying things such as groceries using the Venmo app and pay from your bank account.
- Use Venmo’s Mastercard debit card wherever Mastercard is accepted in the US.
- Get price alerts for Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, and Bitcoin Cash on the Venmo app.
Do keep in mind that Venmo has an app on both Android’s PlayStore and Apple’s App Store. As of now, Venmo can also be accessed by citizens who are located in the US or someone who has a US SIM card. Also, in most cases, one has to be above the age of 18 to be eligible to subscribe to this service. They also must have a US bank account if they want to transfer from and/or to their bank account.
How to sign up for and log in to Venmo account?
If you want a Venmo account, you should first go to help.venmo.com and check the requirements mentioned there. After matching the requirements, follow the steps mentioned below to create a Venmo account.
- Download Venmo’s mobile app for iOS or Android.
- Once downloaded, launch the application.
- Select a preferred signup method and create a secure password. Your password should be between 8 and 20 characters long and must contain at least one symbol or number, such as (!@#$%).
- You then have to verify your details such as phone number and Email address.
- Finally, add your bank account and you will be good to go.
That’s how you can create your Venmo account.
Safety precautions to take when using Venmo
Even though cash is becoming outdated, it’s probably the most secure form of transaction, according to some users. In reality, it’s not.
When you pay someone using Venmo, a transaction ID is generated that can be used as proof that you have paid that person. But if you are still skeptical, you can follow these tips to maintain security when using Venmo.
- Enable two-factor authentication: Enabling two-factor authentication is the first thing you need to do after setting up your account.
- Set your account to private: Venmo is not a social media platform, so one must set their account to private. To do the same, go to the hamburger menu and then to Settings > Privacy. Finally, click on Private.
- Add PIN code to the Venmo app: To add a PIN, tap the Hamburger menu, navigate to Settings > PIN code & biometric unlock, finally, enable PIN verification, and then choose a valid PIN.
- Make sure to have a lock screen password: Every phone has an option to add a lock screen password. Since you have a payment app on it, you must apply that.
- Always check twice before making a payment: If this is your first time using an online payment service, you must check twice the receiver’s details before making the payment. If you find any suspicion in the receiver’s details, promptly abandon the payment.
So, these are some of the things you must do to secure your Venmo account. Do keep in mind that there are a lot of online scams happening worldwide, so you must be aware of that.
Can you use Venmo outside the US?
Unfortunately, Venmo doesn’t operate outside the US as of now, the app is only available to citizens of the United States. To use Venmo, both the sender and recipient must have US bank accounts and, in some cases, Social Security Numbers.
What is Venmo Customer Service contact details or phone number?
You can reach our Venmo team for help with payments, transfers, and more at (855) 812-4430 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. However, if you have any issues, you must go to help.venmo.com and create a ticket. They will respond to you and hopefully, resolve your concerns.
How do I sign up for Venmo safely?
You can sign up for Venmo using the steps mentioned earlier. Since it is done using the Venmo app, it is secure. However, you must check the security tips mentioned earlier to protect your account.
What is a Venmo account and how does it work?
Venmo is an online payment service. You can add money from your bank account and then pay merchants that accept Venmo.