Some gamers experience a strange issue when launching the PS4 or PS5. For instance, if the PlayStation Network sign-in has failed but the internet connection has succeeded, this guide is for you. The error happens when you enter your signing-in details, but you can’t go beyond that or even join a PS Party chat.
You get the error message ‘An error has occurred’, and next to PlayStation Network Sign-in, it indicates ‘Failed’. Other parameters like Obtain IP Address, Internet Connection, and Connection Speed are successful. So what what could be the issue here? I will give you working solutions to fix the issue within the shortest time possible.
Why does my PlayStation Network sign-in say failed?
The reasons for failed sign-in on PlayStation Network could either be from the PlayStation server or your account end. The PlayStation server could be down, your IP address could be changed, or you missed something in your login details. Also, your ISP could have an issue with Sony’s PlayStation servers, which you need to contact them to fix. We can’t rule out the possibility of a temporary technical issue with your console, router, or servers. Let us now look at different ways to fix these issues.
Fix PlayStation Network sign-in failed but internet connection succeeded
If the sign-in has failed on the PlayStation Network but the internet connection has succeeded, our troubleshooting experts recommend the following solutions:
- Perform preliminary steps
- Verify your sign-in ID
- Update System Software
- Change DNS settings
- Check your account online
- Reset your password or PSN account
Let us look at these solutions one by one.
1] Perform preliminary steps
Some temporary issues can be resolved by doing simple steps which have worked for some users. Try the following steps before you proceed to the advanced solution:
- Restart your console and router. This step works for users if the cause for the error is bugs or a temporary glitch on your devices or PlayStation servers. To restart your console, press the PS button, select Power, and then select Restart PS5 or Restart PS4.
- Check PSN server status. If the PSN server has an issue, you will get the sign-in failed error. To check the server status go to the official PSN Service Status page, enter your region, and see if there is anything that is not working from their end. If there is, wait until they fix it and try to sign in again.
- Log out and sign in again. Go to your profile picture or avatar and select Log Out. After that, sign back into your account and check if the error is still appearing.
- Notify your ISP. Sometimes, the ISP might have an issue with PlayStation servers. Contact them and ask if that is the case. However, this can be a temporary issue or ISP can fix from from their end.
If the preliminary steps don’t work, try the other steps below.
2] Verify your sign-in ID
If your account is new, or you registered a while ago, PlayStation sends a verification email to your email address. If you try to sign in before you verify your sign-in ID, then you will get login issues. Open your email, check for the verification email, and click the link given.
3] Update System Software
When you update PS4 or PS5, you ensure that the issues that were in the previous version are resolved. To update the PlayStation system software, do the following:
- Go to the Settings section and click System.
- Next, choose System Software Update and Settings.
- Select Update System Software and then click Update Using Internet
- Finally, select Update Now and wait for the process to be completed.
4] Change DNS settings
If your IP address is blocked, you will get the Playstation Network sign-in failed but internet succeeded issue. The best way to unblock the IP address is by changing the DNS settings.
To do this, go to the Settings section, select Network, and then click Internet Connection Setup. Select Use WiFi to connect to the WiFi network and then select Custom.
Choose the WiFi you prefer and then change the IP Address to Automatic. After that, next to DHCP Host Name, select Do Not Specify.
Under the DNS Setting, select Manual and enter the Google DNS as 18.104.22.168 for Primary DNS, and 22.214.171.124 for Secondary DNS. Click Next to continue.
Under the MTU Settings, select Manual and change the value to 1456. When you see the Proxy Server section, select Do Not Use and finally select Test Internet Connection.
After the test, go back and try to sign in to PSN again.
5] Check your account online
Your account might be suspended for violating certain terms and conditions. If that’s the case, you can’t sign in to your account successfully. Try to log in to Account Management on the official website. You can also check out for suspension email for more details, or contact the support team.
6] Reset your password or PSN account
Some users have successfully resolved the PlayStation Network Sign-in failed error by resetting their passwords. Even if you believe you are trying the right details, go to Account Management online and select Trouble Signing In. Select Reset Password and follow further simple onscreen directions. You should get an email to reset your password.
If that does work, reset your PS4 or PS5 to its default settings. Since you cannot sign in to your account, you need to reset your PS while in Safe Mode. To do this, long-press the PS power button until you hear two beeps. Wait for a minute and long-press the same button until you get the same two beeps.
Once in Safe Mode, select option number 7 which is Reset PS5 or Reset PS4. You will get a prompt asking you if you are sure you want to continue. Select Yes to initialize the reset.
NOTE: Resetting your PlayStation deletes all user data and files in the internal storage. Save any video clips or files that you wouldn’t want to lose before you start the process.
That’s it for now. We hope something here works for you.
Can I recover my PSN account without email?
It’s hard to recover your PlayStation Network account if you can’t access the email ID registered with your account. However, we encourage you to contact the PS support team. They might handle your case differently and recover your account, but we cannot guarantee.