A Compass is a navigation tool that can help you to reach your world spawn point. It is extremely handy in Minecraft, especially if you like exploring the world. In this post, we will see how we can craft a compass in Minecraft.
How to craft a Compass in Minecraft
When you enter the game, the point where you first spawned is called World Spawn Point. The compass allows you to navigate to that point. If you use Lodestone, the compass will point you to that.
Even though we will craft a compass, you can actually find it out. Following are the points where one can find chests to get a compass.
- In Ancient City, look for a Simple Chest.
- In Shipwreck, look for a Map Chest.
- In Stronghold, look for a Library Chest.
- In Village, look for a Cartographer’s Chest.
However, you don’t have to go look for the compass, as we will learn how to craft one.
In order to craft Compass, we require Iron Ingots and Restone dust.
Craft iron ingots
One of the first things required to craft a compass is Iron Ingots. If you want to craft it, follow the steps mentioned below.
- With the help of a Pickaxe one can mine iron from caves, ravines, and cliffsides.
- Once you have that, smelt iron from the ore.
- To do that, look for Furnace that can be found in villages, ships, and similar locations. Once you get hold of Furnace, put the iron ore in the top slot in the Furnace menu and then place some fuel in the bottom slot.
This will yield you iron ingots. Do keep in mind that you need 4 Iron Ingots to craft a Compass.
Look for Redstone Dust
Now that we have 4 Iron Ingots, let us obtain another item required to craft a Compass which is the Redstone Dust. You need to mine Redstone Dust from the steps mentioned below.
- Get hold of a few iron pickaxes and go to an underground cave.
- You can then start mining downwards and make sure that you can fetch backup nonchalantly.
- When your Y level reaches -64, you will notice redstone dust carried by stones. Make sure to use Iron Pickaze or something similar to mine.
That’s how you can get Redstone dust.
Crafting the compass
Now that we have everything required to craft a compass, follow the steps mentioned below to do the same.
- Open a crafting menu.
- Place the redstone in the middle of the place crafting table.
- Now, place the iron ingots around it as depicted in the image attached earlier.
Hopefully, you will easily get a compass.
Craft a Lodestone Compass
A normal compass will not work in the Nether or End. One would require a Lodestone Compass to navigate there. Creating one such compass is pretty easy all one needs is a Lodestone. If it is present in your base in the Nether or End, follow the steps mentioned below to create a compass that will point to the lodestone.
- First and foremost, put a lodestone in your base.
- Make sure you have a compass in your inventory and activate it by pressing the left trigger (LT/L2/ZL) on your controller. On PC, simply right-click and hold on the lodestone, while on mobile, tap and hold on the lodestone.
- You will now notice your compass will have a purple tint and it will point towards Lodestone.
Hopefully, now you know how to craft a normal and Lodestone compass.
How do I get a compass in Minecraft?
Even though you can get a compass in Minecraft chests as mentioned earlier, we would recommend you craft one. All you need to do the same are 4 Iron Ingot and Redstone dust blocks. Once you have those, place them in the arrangement mentioned earlier, and then you will get a compass. We have mentioned a detailed guide earlier, so, check that one out.
Can you make a compass point to your house in Minecraft?
Minecraft doesn’t allow you to make a compass that will point to a house, but we have a workaround for you. What you need to do is create a Lodestone Compass and place a Lodestone in your home. Therefore, Lodestone Compass will eventually point toward your home.
Read Next: Fix Minecraft has run out of memory.